Wrestlers Take Third at UKC Wrestling Tournament

Written by: Katelyn Cofer, Reporter

On Saturday, Feb. 9, the Bobcats hosted the United Kansas Conference Wrestling Tournament. There, freshman Cohen Suchy (120) placed first, junior Brayton Oleson (113) and junior Josh Willcutt (195) placed second, seniors Joe Phillips (138) and Colyn Lucas (170), freshmen Tanner Parrish (160) and freshman Emanuel Vazquez (220) placed third. Altogether, there was a total of 18 wins with 10 pins, placing third overall as a team.

“We won a great deal of the matches we were supposed to win and even won a couple where we were the ‘underdog’. I was proud of our guys for going through a great warm-up, wrestling their hearts out all day, and it all paid off with a 3rd place finish for our team. With the adversity that our team has faced this season, I felt like our team did really well, and all of our guys continue to improve from week to week,” said head coach Jason Puderbaugh.

The next tournament will be the 5A Regional Tournament on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 15 and 16 at Bonner Springs High School.

“[I’m] really hoping that our community and student body will come together to support the wrestling team and have a huge turnout to the Regional tournament that is close to home this year at Bonner Springs High School starting at 11:00 a.m. Friday and 10:00 a.m. Saturday. And with no school on Friday, it makes even more the reason for our kids to come out and support the team,” said Puderbaugh.