Winter Sports State Wrap-Up

Written by: Trinity Krouse, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Boys’ Swim:

On Feb. 15 and 16, boys swim competed at the swim state championship. The Bobcats’ 400 relay team finished 16th and was comprised of freshman Tucker Dixon, junior Kade Imhoff, senior Luka Misevic and senior Evan Dusselier. Dusselier also placed fourth in the 100 butterfly and fourth in 100 backstroke. Imhoff placed 12th in 100 backstroke.

Wrestling

On Feb. 23, boys’ wrestling sent six wrestlers to Wichita to compete in the state tournament.

Junior Josh Wilcutt, freshman Cohen Suchy, sophomore Zach Radefeld, junior Brayton Olesen, junior Hunter Parish and senior Joe Phillips all competed, but none placed.

“It was a very fun season and I think everyone as a team improved substantially,” said Phillips. “I think the rest of the team wrestled very well and full of enthusiasm.”

Girls’ basketball:

The girls’ basketball team competed at Sumner Academy on Wednesday, Feb. 27 against the Sumner Sabres and lost 48-54 in the first round of Sub-State. They finished the season with a record of 8-13.

“The team knew what was on the line,” said senior McKenzie Jones. “This allowed us to bond more than we did all year before the game. The atmosphere was fantastic before the game. We proved ourselves. Those who doubted us in the past started to believe in us. I left this team knowing that the girls now know what they are capable of accomplishing.”

Boys’ Basketball:

The boys played in the first round of Sub-State basketball on Thursday, Feb. 28 at home against Sumner Academy, winning 64-34. They moved to the championship game against Seaman High School, 64-44, taking the title.  They will play in the state tournament in Emporia Thursday, March 3, against Salina Central High School.

Powerlifting:

On Saturday, March 2, the state powerlifting meet was held at home for the first time, and both the men and women’s powerlifting teams placed first. The boys scored 128 points and the girls scored 122 for the school. Junior Sadie Webb was the Women’s Lightweight lifter of the meet, where she squatted 215 lbs., hang cleaned 135 lbs. and benched 120 lbs.