Trey Galvan and Rylee Jones Break Boys’ and Girls’ Cross Country Records

Written by: Alyssa Tyler, Assistant Editor

On Oct. 26 at Regionals, both the men’s and women’s cross country school records were broken. Sophomore Rylee Jones ran a 19:45 5K, breaking the record by 16 seconds. And placed third. Junior Trey Galvan ran a 16:52 5K and broke the record by 9 seconds. And placed 14th. 

“Once I met [former record holder] Joe [Ruffcorn] and I learned that he was the one who had the [school] record. I looked up to him because he guided me throughout summer conditioning. And it’s cool, being able to follow him in his footsteps. Knowing that you set the new level from what he was at,” said Galvan.

In and outside of practice, both athletes do more than just run. Both focus on their nutrition, hydration and sleep. And, both have been preparing for this meet since summer conditioning started in June. Although, neither thought that they were going to beat either school record at the regional meet.  

“No, definitely not. I was very surprised that I did [break the record]. I knew that I was going fast because I hit one of my fastest miles I’ve ever run in the first mile. [when] there was 400 meters left and [assistant coach Keara] Lenard yelled at me saying that I was 18 flat, I knew after that point as long as I had a good kick I was going to get it,” said Jones. 

On Nov. 2 Rylee Jones and the girls’ team will go on to compete at the 5A State meet at RimRock Farms. Jones isn’t content with just breaking the school record, 

“Now that I broke it, I just want to continue to keep breaking it and the top ten list of the all-time performances. One of my goals is to have all ten performances in the next two seasons,” said Jones. 

On Nov. 2 Rylee Jones and the girls’ team will go on to compete at the 5A State meet at RimRock Farms, after their third-place finish at regionals.