A Look Into the Girls’Wrestling Team

Written by: Lexi Fishe, Reporter

Winter sports seasons are just kicking off for many teams and one team, in particular, is the girls’ wrestling team. The 5th ranked girls’ wrestling team kicked off their season on Nov. 16. The 19 girls are coached by Jay Johnston and assistant Michelle Vielhauer. The girls took on Lansing and won with a score of 24-18, and also took on Tonganoxie on Fri. December 4th and won with a score of 18-6. 

“The team’s goals for this year are to grow together as a team while being role models for other students and to grow as a team, which is my second family. One personal goal I have for myself is to overcome every obstacle that comes in my way during this season whether that is my sickness, lack of motivation and struggles with school,” junior Cadence Christenson said. 

The team is scheduled to compete at 13 meets for the 2020 season.  The Ladycat’s next home dual is scheduled for Fri. January 15th. Below are some results from last year’s season: 

2019-2020 season: 

• Three state qualifiers (Olivia O’Donnell, Cadence Christenson and Mandy Wilson) 
  • 2nd in United Kansas Conference (UKC) League  
  • 9th in Regionals out of 60 teams 
  • 11th in the state out of 80 teams 
  • 4-1 dual record 

State Qualifiers: 

• Olivia O’Donnell (116 pounds): O’Donnell finished last year’s season with a 31-10 record, 4th place at Regionals, 6th place at State and is currently ranked 3rd in the state for the 116-pound weight class. 
  • Cadence Christenson (143 pounds): Christenson finished last year’s season with a 23-4 record, placing 3rd at Regionals, qualifying for state and is currently ranked 5th in the state for the 143- pound weight class. 
  • Mandy Wilson (170 pounds): Wilson finished last year’s season with a 23-10 record, placed 6th at Regionals, placed 4th at State and is currently ranked 6th in the state for the 170- pound weight class.