Bobcat Classic Results

Written by: Lexi Fishe, Reporter

The boy’s Bobcat wrestling team took sixth place out of seven teams at the 21st annual Bobcat Classic on Saturday, Jan. 16. Typically, the Bobcats invite 30-40 teams from all over the state of Kansas. Due to COVID-19 protocols, the tournament was cut down to just eight teams, mostly containing teams from the United Kansas Conference (UKC) league. The Bobcats had a total of four duals against Gardner Edgerton, St. Thomas Aquinas, Lansing and St. James Academy. 

The Bobcats lost to Gardner Edgerton with a score of 30-53. Freshman Evan Vielhauer won with a fall of 1:18 over Kasen Smith. Sophomore Tyler Elven won with a fall of 1:56 over Keegan Troutman. Juniors Tanner Parish and Emanuel Vasquez also won with falls all under a minute against Gardner Edgerton. Unfortunately, offense was lacking for the Bobcats, which resulted in a loss of 30-53. 

St. Thomas Aquinas was the final dual for the Bobcats in pool play. The Bobcats went down fighting with a score of 18-57. The Bobcats got this score from open weight classes and a fall from freshman Hudson Straham with a time of 1:13. 

After pool play, the Bobcats were put in the fifth-place bracket and wrestled against a UKC matchup: the Lansing Lions. Sophomores Alex Smith-Mendez and Tyler Elven both pulled off falls in under 1:30 to give the Bobcats a total of 12 points. Junior Aidan Baker stood out with a fall of fewer than 30 seconds. Finally, before senior Zane Kincaid’s match to complete the dual, the Bobcats were only ahead by one. Kincaid’s match was very crucial in a win for the Bobcats. Kincaid was able to get the fall, which resulted in a final team score of 42-35 for the Bobcats. 

For the winner of fifth and sixth as a team, the Bobcats faced St. James Academy. Unfortunately for St. James, they were open at five weight classes. The Bobcats fought hard in their last dual, including Baker. With less than ten seconds left, Baker was able to get the reversal and put him ahead with a score of 12-11. As a result, the Bobcats weren’t able to hold on and lost with a score of 30-37. The Bobcats finished sixth place out of seven and will be back in the practice room to work next week.