Final Home Dual for the Bobcat Wrestling Team

Written by: Lexi Fishe, Reporter

On Wednesday, Jan. 27, the Bobcat wrestling team hosted a single dual from the girls’ team against Emporia and two duals for the boys’ team against De Soto and Emporia. For seniors Olivia O’Donnell, Alexis Johnson, Thu Nguyen and Zane Kincaid, this was their final match on their home turf for their high school career. 

O’Donnell kicked off the night with a decision of a 5-1 win over her opponent. Junior Cadence Christenson of the 152 weight class was down 1-3 going into the second period and was able to get the reversal and the fall over her opponent. 

Following the girl’s dual against Emporia, the boys team took on Emporia and won with a score of 52-24. To kick off the dual was a collected forfeit from freshman Evan Vielhauer. Next, freshman Hudson Straham and sophomore Alex Smith-Mendez fell to their opponents leaving the Bobcats behind, 6-12. To make up for lost ground, sophomore Connor McMillen was able to get the fall in the first period with a time of 1:24, making the score 12-12. 

Juniors Aidan Baker and Cohen Suchy got falls over their opponents in less than 1:30. For freshman Logan Plum, the offense is what led to his come from behind victory over his opponent in the third period with a fall of fewer than 30 seconds. Before senior Zane Kincaid stepped on his home mat with hopes for his 50th career win, Bobcats were ahead 46-24. Kincaid made his last home appearance short and sweet by getting his 50th win with a fall of 34 seconds to make the final score 52-24. 

Finally, the Bobcats took on De Soto winning, 66-12. Sophomore Alex Smith-Mendez tied his match with a score of 5-5 going into the third and final period. Smith-Mendez’s ability to score on offense is what led him to an 11-5 victory over his opponent, making the team score 15-6. McMillen, Suchy, Baker, Plum and Elven were all able to get falls in less than 1:30 giving the Bobcats 30 more points added on to their team score. 

Junior Tanner Parish pulled off a close win in the third period, 10-9. Along with Parish’s battle, juniors Sam Hicks and Manny Vasquex got the fall of less than one minute over their opponent before senior Kincaid collected his forfeit over De Soto. Come from behind wins led the Bobcats to a victory over De Soto, 66-12. This was the last regular-season competition for the Bobcat wrestling team. For the next two weeks, the Bobcatst will be preparing for Regionals on Friday, Feb. 12.