Girls Dominate at State Powerlifting

Written by: Lake Harrington, Sports Reporter

The Bobcats hosted 5A State Powerlifting meet on Feb. 27. It was yet another year of dominance for the girl’s team as they won their 14th straight state title. On the other hand, the boy’s team struggled for the second consecutive year as they finished in 6th place. The boys are still yet to win state after switching to 5A. 

“The last two years since we have switched to 5A, we have really only had one team hurt us each year which were Eisenhower this year and Pittsburg last year,” said junior Kaden Sims.

The boys have managed to stay close with teams, but they just struggle to get over the hump so far. Last year the team felt unaccomplished after being so close to winning in Pittsburg last year. The team’s numbers have decreased the past two years compared to their schools, and the results are starting to show for the boys. The number of participants on opposing teams has made it harder to take away wins than when Basehor-Linwood was in 4A due to more competition.

“I think next year will show more success because COVID changed how often people lift and some of the team comradery goes away,” said Sims

In comparison, the girls have found ways to win every year. The girl’s drive and will to be successful have paid off time and time again.

Senior K’Niya Harris won the 215 weight class. This is the first time the 215 class has been used at any powerlifting meet, including state. Harris set all of the meet records and has truly left her mark her senior year.

“It was amazing getting points for the team. It made me proud of myself. I definitely worked hard this year to better myself and to get stronger this year to be able to gain those points for our team,” said Harris

The girl’s title was a team effort, however. Sophomore Paityn McDonnell finished 3rd overall and was one of many girls to help the team win.

“It’s a great feeling to know that you’re apart of a dynasty since this is 14 straight now,” said McDonnell. 

Even with her finishing third, more bobcats were standing on the podium with Sophie Leach finishing first in their weight class.

Overall, individually, the bobcats had a great year with plenty of personal records being set. Despite having to deal with COVID-19 and all of the problems it brought. Basehor-Linwood adapted and still managed to show what they are made of. They are a team, and it shows after the last meet that they have the fight and determination to be great.