Senior Adell Gore Shines as Bobcats Crush Baldwin

Written by: Lake Harrington, Sports Reporter

The girls soccer team kicked off their season with a win against the Baldwin Bulldogs on Mar. 23. This was the first girl’s soccer game in two years after the season was cut short after tryouts in 2020. Northwest Missouri State commit, senior Adell Gore played a pivotal role in the win, scoring four goals in the 6-1 route.

The first half started strong from Basehor-Linwood as they had possession on Baldwin’s half of the field for the better half of eight minutes. Baldwin had one shot on goal the entire first half, and they found the net soon after to take a 1-0 lead. This lit a spark for the Bobcats, however, and they forced a Baldwin defender into a bad first touch and freshman Macy McKissick took advantage to level the game just two minutes later. The Bobcats never looked back after that. They didn’t even give Baldwin a chance to get down the field. With 18 minutes left in the first half, Gore scored her first of four of a great through ball and she hit a curling shot into the top of the goal to help the ladies take a 2-1 lead at the half.

Baldwin looked promising starting the second half, as they had plenty of possession, but never could get a clear shot on goal due to Basehor-Linwood’s defense. Gore took the one opportunity she was given in the first 20 minutes, and she drew a penalty kick with 20 minutes remaining in the game. She slotted home the penalty, and the flood gates opened. Twelve minutes later she bagged her hat-trick with a shot to the Baldwin goalkeeper’s near post, and soon after she grabbed her fourth of the night with another goal in the left corner. With just two minutes to go, junior Teigan Capper put the icing on the cake with a 40-yard screamer off of a free-kick.

Thirteen freshman and sophomores made their debuts on the varsity squad. The entire team played together with good chemistry for all 80 minutes. The girls take on division opponents De Soto on Mar. 25.