Bobcats Mercy Lions

Written by: Lake Harrington, Sports Reporter

The girls soccer team was part of a 10-0 rout against Lansing High School on Mar. 30. The game was cut 90 seconds short after the “Mercy Rule” took effect. The rule is where the game is ended if a team is winning by 10 goals after half-time. The Bobcats dominated from the beginning, and the Lansing defense couldn’t stand with senior Adell Gore and the arsenal of goal-scorers.

Touching the ball was hard to come by for Lansing. The ball was on Basehor-Linwood’s side for the entirety of the game. The momentum shift came early on, with Gore drawing a penalty kick in the corner of the box. She soon made the penalty to the goalkeepers left to give the Bobcats a 1-0 advantage just three minutes in. Lansing soon gave the ball away on the ensuing kickoff, and the Bobcats forced multiple corner kicks until junior Teigan Capper scored off a corner that bounced around in the box to push the lead to 2-0. Goal number three soon followed when Gore grabbed her second of the game by slotting the ball in near-post from 12 yards out. She soon grabbed her hat-trick after a poor goal kick, to which she bent it far post from just outside the box. The longest goal drought of the first half was just six minutes, and freshman Taylor Graf ended it with a rebound off of another corner.

The second half was just as the first. The Bobcats doubled their score from half-time and put any hope Lansing had of coming back to bed. Lansing’s inability to clear the ball led to many opportunities for Basehor-Linwood in the second-half. Gore grabbed her 9th and 10th goals of the season, and finally, with 90 seconds remaining, freshman Macy McKissick scored the 10th team goal to end the game. The girls will return to play on Apr. 1. Against Atchison.