The VSCO Girl is the New Valley Girl

Written by: Lexi Fishe, Reporter

The term ‘valley girl’ has been around since the 1970s and has evolved into the term that modern day teenage girls use, also known as ‘VSCO girl’. The term valley girl first referred to middle and upper class teenage girls who lived in San Fernando, California. It represented spoiled, scatter-brained girls who were more concerned with their appearances, shopping and social status rather than who they were as a person. (webster) Spanish teacher Kara Disberger defines valley girls as ditzy… and found herself running into girls like that. 

Some common words that were said by Valley girls included ‘duh’, ‘whatever’, ‘as if’, excessive uses of “like” but not in a comparison. Many different teachers were considered or were friends with someone labeled a valley girl. One teacher in particular, Spanish teacher Kara Disberger, had friends she considered Valley girls.

“I don’t think I was ever considered a Valley girl, but I was friends with people that were considered ditzes,” said Disberger.

The term Valley girl relates to the term that modern day teenagers earned the name  VSCO girls. These girls are considered girls who always have Hydro Flasks, shell necklaces, Vera Bradley backpacks, Birkenstocks, Crocs and scrunchies. They are also known for taking pictures of their relationships, them in Jeeps, and basically every aspect of their lives. 

There is at least one person that is considered a VSCO girl in Basehor-Linwood High School. Many people think of sophomore Emma Jackson as the definition of a VSCO girl. 

“VSCO is just a label for all the basic girls that do everything a girl would do,” said Emma Jackson. “My favorite thing that I own would have to be my hydro flask because I use it every day.” 

VSCO girls have become a popular trend in 2019. Just about everywhere will there be someone that can be described as a VSCO girl. 

Click HERE to see if you are a true vsco girl!