Kansas City Chiefs Parade

Written by: Jaedin Turner, Reporter

Following the Kansas City Chiefs win in the Super Bowl, a parade was held in Kansas City, Mo. on Feb 5. Although the temperatures were below freezing, around 800,000 people were in attendance to celebrate the first Super Bowl win in 50 years. Many people from the school were present at the parade. 

“The atmosphere was my favorite part of the parade because there were so many different types of people there, but we were all celebrating the same thing. It felt like we were all connected and it was such a cool experience to be apart of,” said sophomore Bella Zarate. 

After the parade there was a rally held at Union Station. Many people important to the Chiefs franchise spoke including Clark Hunt, the owner of the Chiefs, and head coach Andy Reid. Many players on the Chiefs team also spoke. Including, quarterback Patrick Mohomes, tight end Travis Kelce, safety Tyrann Mathieu and receiver Tyreek Hill.

“The rally was a cool experience for me because I got to hear about how excited everybody was about their accomplishments and we got to celebrate together like one big family,” said senior Delainey Wilson.

The parade started at 11:30 a.m., but in order to get there and get a spot, many people left a lot earlier. Sophomore Leeah Vannattan left her house at 5:00 a.m. on Wednesday to make sure she got a spot. 

“We got to the parade at 6:30. We got a front row spots and we were towards the beginning of the parade. I even got to high five some players. It was totally worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat,” said Vannattan.

Wilson chose to stay in a hotel near the parade route. 

“A group of friends and I stayed in a hotel in Kansas City, Missouri. We left the hotel at 9:15 a.m. to go to the parade. From our spot during the parade [where] we could see the tops of the double decker busses, but not the bottom. For the rally, we got a better spot and I could see what was going on from the big TVs,” said Wilson.

In the parade players rode on busses, celebrated and high fived fans. Vannattan, Wilson and Zarate all said that their favorite player was Mahomes.

“Patrick Mahomes is my favorite player. He’s the MVP after all. I loved the parade because it was cool to be that close to him. You can’t be that close to the players while you’re watching a game,” said Zarate.

The Chiefs plan to fight for their right to party next year too.

“We’ll be right back here,” said Reid.