How to Stay Busy in Quarantine

Written by: Riley Wilson, Reporter

The coronavirus outbreak has led to a lot of problems, one of them being that people need to stay home, which can get quite boring. At some point, even the most introverted of people are going to start getting restless. If social distancing has you stuck inside going stir crazy, here are several activities you can do to pass the time. 

An activity that may not seem super appealing is Spring cleaning. To make this task seem a little less daunting, try doing one room a day. You could take it even slower considering all the time on your hands.

Taking some time for yourself and relaxing on the couch can be fun, but you might get restless after a while. There are dozens of virtual fitness programs to choose from, but students, alumni, parents and other community members can sign up for the T.R.A.I.N program and Strength and Conditioning classes are being continued. You don’t need to go to the gym for these workouts either. Going on runs and walks can also be a simpler option.

Now is a good time to start figuring out what your hobbies are. Looking into the arts and crafts area can be a great place to start. Hobby Lobby, Michael’s and even Target are great places to pick up the supplies you need to create a masterpiece. It is easy to find projects online that are interesting to you. Looking on Pinterest is another good way to start.

While school is out and the workload in classes is a lot lighter, consider taking an online class to learn something new. Whatever you have always wanted to do, like learning a new language, is now possible by signing up for a virtual class. 

All those books you’ve been meaning to read can finally be given some attention during this break. Although book stores may be closed, you can still order books online. Try Pride and Prejudice or The Fault in Our Stars, some personal favorites, and get to reading.

Another great way to put your brain to work is doing a puzzle. Puzzles are very stimulating and are easy to purchase online. Coloring books can also be a great option for some relaxation. So, turn on your favorite show in the background and try it out. 

Now you have some fun things to do besides binge-watching TV shows. Any one of these activities can be a really helpful way to relax and spend all this extra time doing something productive.