BLHS Clubs, Something for Everyone

BLHS Clubs, Something for Everyone

Written by: Alyssa Tyler, Editor-in-Chief

1. Student Council

Sponsor: Spanish teacher: Jessica Morehead

Goal(s): To create different connections throughout the community and to make the school feel more like a home. 

Membership: There can be up to 50 members, but to run for an officer position, someone must submit a video to be elected. 

1. CareCats

Sponsor: Tammy Potts

Goal(s): The class has students travel to either the middle school or one of the three elementary schools in the district to help teachers and to help make an impact in the student’s classroom.

Membership: Must be a junior or a senior and enrolled in a CareCat block.

1. Newspaper 

Sponsor: Erin Horn

The newspaper staff covers all events related to BLHS through a weekly newsletter and various social media outlets. The staff also competes in the Kansas Scholastic Press Association regional and state competition in various categories: photography, design and writing.

Membership: Students must be at least a sophomore and have taken at least 21st Century Journalism, Graphic Design Fundamentals, Photo Imaging and/or apply for a staff position

1. Yearbook

Sponsor: Erin Horn 

The yearbook staff produces a 186-page book covering the year’s events. Students are solely responsible for the content, layout and presentation and marketing of the book. The staff also competes in the Kansas Scholastic Press Association regional and state competition in various categories: photography, design and writing.

Membership: Students must be at least a sophomore and have taken at least 21st Century Journalism, Graphic Design Fundamentals, Photo Imaging and/ or apply for a staff position.

1. National Honors Society

Sponsor: Math teacher,  Alex Verbenc 

The group focuses on having student members who have strong leadership, academics and a drive to help their community. 

Membership: Students must be at least a sophomore, and have a weighted/ unweighted 3.75 GPA or above. Recommendations from three teachers, coaches or other peers. A written essay and monthly volunteer hours. 

1. JAG-Jobs for America’s Graduates 

Sponsor, JAG teacher, Jessica Glover

The group goes over how to create resumes, prepares students to be in the workforce and be enrolled in a block of JAG.

Membership: Enroll in JAG.

1. Debate

Sponsor, Rebecca Knowles

The class competes in tournaments and matches during the fall against other schools. There they have debates about a variety of topics. The class offers its own version of league, regionals and state and gives its students the opportunity to letter.

Membership: Enroll in a debate class.

1. Forensics

Sponsor, Rebecca Knowles

The class competes in matches and tournaments during the spring against other schools in a variety of competitions. Compared to debate, forensics focuses on contests that range from storytelling to poetry readings, the participants have the opportunity to letter as well.

Membership: Enroll in a forensics class. 

1. Fccla- 

Led by Megan Marquardt 

The group focuses on community involvement through volunteering at local institutions. 

Membership: Apply for FFCLA and enroll in the course.

1. ReBel 

Sponsor, English Teacher, Allyson Schaffer

The group focuses on promoting positive body image and self-love. 

Membership: To join attend one of ReBels meetings.

1. Scholars’ Bowl

Sponsored by, English Teacher, Ben Katazmaier 

1. Science Olympiad

Led by, Science teachers, Greg Burton and Peter Diehl 

The club works as a team to compete in different competitions that vary about different sciences. The team competes at one competition, regionals and must qualify for the state competition.

Membership: all interested BLHS students can talk to either Peter Diehl or Greg Burton for more details.