Students’ Thanksgiving Traditions

Written by: Riley Wilson, Reporter

Thanksgiving is a time to come together with family, eat a ton of food and remember to be grateful for the precious things in life. Not every family celebrates the day the same, however. Unfortunately this year with COVID-19, families are disappointed that these plans have to change so that they are safe. Here are some examples below of students making the best of the situation.

“My family usually has large gatherings from both sides of my family and we all have a lot of food and have a good time. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is just a break from school for a bit and enjoying time with family I don’t see that often. This year, it’ll just be my brothers and my parents celebrating Thanksgiving together. We’ll probably watch a lot of football and college basketball,” said junior Kamden Tatkenhorst.

“My family usually goes to my grandma’s house with the whole family and eats a big meal and bakes pies together. My favorite part is getting to see the whole family, because it’s not very often everyone’s schedules allow us all to be together at the same time. We are planning on doing a socially distanced hot dog roast outside in the cold this year,” said junior Maya Pebley.

“Usually my family drives down to Pittsburgh to my cousins’ house. Almost all of my family is there and there are usually about sixty people. My favorite part is watching Thanksgiving day football and getting to see all of my cousins. This year my family has decided that we are going to have Thanksgiving at our house instead and the only people there are going to be my mom, dad, and brother,” said junior Madi Jennings.

“Usually my family drives down to Pittsburgh to my cousins’ house. Almost all of my family is there and there are usually about sixty people. My favorite part is watching Thanksgiving day football and getting to see all of my cousins. This year my family has decided that we are going to have Thanksgiving at our house instead and the only people there are going to be my mom, dad, and brother,” said junior Alec Sharp.

“Normally we drive down to see family in Oklahoma and have Thanksgiving down there. I’m not sure if we’re doing that this year. My favorite part is normally when we’re there we will go to a brick town, a part of Oklahoma City made of only bricks that’s really cool,” said junior Jackson Oberndorfer.

“For Thanksgiving my family usually gets together on each side. We eat a big meal with lots of rolls and dessert, but near the evening my aunts and cousins go through the Black Friday ads. If there’s a football game we watch it and yell at the screen. My favorite part of it are the arguments that go on between everyone over past memories. My plan for this year is to have dinner with my immediate family at my house. We’ll have a pumpkin pie and lots of dogs at one house,” said junior Grace Himple.

A common theme this year seems to be staying home and spending time with immediate family. Although plans are being cancelled, watching movies and the football game, eating a big meal and relaxing at home sounds like a good break from everything this year. Stay safe this Thanksgiving season and enjoy the food.