Friday Night Bobcat Wrestling Action

Written by: Lexi Fishe, Reporter

The boys Bobcat Wrestling Team took on Holton Friday, Jan. 22. The Bobcats were able to take a win with a score of 45-33. The dual went back and forth all night, and multiple Bobcats pulled off crucial wins.

Kicking off the night in the heavyweight category was freshman Alonso Luna. Luna was able to get the first takedown and scored first. Going into the second period, Luna was ahead 2-1 and was able to get another takedown, making the score 4-1. Luna was ahead 4-2 going into the third period and both wrestlers started in the neutral position. Unfortunately, Luna was not able to pull off a win and went down fighting with a score of 6-8. 

Junior Tanner Parish and Emanuel Vasquez both pulled off wins with a fall of under one minute. Lastly for the heavyweights was senior Zane Kincaid. Kincaid was able to score first with a two-point takedown and fortunately, with his offense, Kincaid was able to get the fall in 20 seconds in the third period. 

Freshman Evan Vielhauer was able to pull off a win from a close match with a score of 2-0, making the score 21-9 Bobcats. On the other hand, freshman Hudson Straham and Ethan Kelley went down with a fight. Going into freshman Alex Smith- Mendez’s match, the dual was all tied up with a score of 21-21. 

Within seconds of the first period ending, Smith-Mendez was able to get a takedown, pulling ahead with a match score of 3-2. Going into the second period, his opponent gets a takedown and Smith-Mendez is down 4-6. Finally, Smith-Mendez was able to get a come from behind win and was able to pin his opponent with a fall of 48 seconds. 

Sophomore Connor McMillen was able to collect an unexpected forfeit, making the score 

33-21. Juniors Cohen Suchy and Aidan Baker were both able to get falls before the third period with times less than 1:30. After the conclusion of Suchy and Baker’s matches, the Bobcats were ahead 45-21. 

The last match of the night was sophomore Tyler Elven. Unfortunately, Elven was not able to pull off a win, but the Bobcats were still able to pull a win for the night. This victory over Holton, makes head coach Jason Puderbaugh’s 100th career win as a wrestling coach.